Graduate Research Prize Winners 2012
After training in microbiology I worked with Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) for 4 years. During my period with them I had difficult postings in rural Nepal as well as in war torn African countries. In these postings I was involved with field based parasitological epidemiologic studies involving Human African trypanosomiasis and Leishmaniasis. This sparked my interest in epidemiology and I wanted to continue my career in public health. I specialised in Medical Microbiology from the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, University of Liverpool (MSc) in 2007. I then enrolled under a Wellcome Trust funded PhD program with Kellogg college at the University of Oxford in 2008. My study focuses on the molecular epidemiology of Salmonella Typhi and Paratyphi in Kathmandu, Nepal. For the past 4 years my study has been based in Nepal, but as laboratory facilities in Nepal are limited, the majority of my experiments were conducted in the laboratories of Dr Stephen Baker at the Oxford University Clinical Research Unit in Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my DPhil experience that has afforded me a lot of opportunity to work autonomously. I am indebted for the techniques and skills that I have learnt and developed and am grateful to the wonderful people that have helped me along the way.
- KARKEY, A., ARJYAL, A., ANDERS, K. L., BONI, M. F., DONGOL, S., KOIRALA, S., MY, P. V. T., NGA, T. V. T., CLEMENTS, A. C. A., HOLT, K. E., DUY, P. T., DAY, J. N., CAMPBELL, J. I., DOUGAN, G., DOLECEK, C., FARRAR, J., BASNYAT, B. & BAKER, S. 2010. The Burden and Characteristics of Enteric Fever at a Healthcare Facility in a Densely Populated Area of Kathmandu. PLoS ONE, 5, e13988.
- KARKEY, A., ARYJAL, A., BASNYAT, B. & BAKER, S. 2008. Kathmandu, Nepal; Still an Enteric Fever Capital of the World. J Infect DevCtries, 2, 461 - 465.
- ARJYAL, A., BASNYAT, B., KOIRALA, S., KARKEY, A., DONGOL, S., AGRAWAAL, K. K., SHAKYA, N., SHRESTHA, K., SHARMA, M., LAMA, S., SHRESTHA, K., KHATRI, N. S., SHRESTHA, U., CAMPBELL, J. I., BAKER, S., FARRAR, J., WOLBERS, M. & DOLECEK, C. 2009. Gatifloxacin versus chloramphenicol for uncomplicated enteric fever: an open-label, randomised, controlled trial. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, 11, 445-454.
- BAKER, S., HOLT, K. E., CLEMENTS, A. C. A., KARKEY, A., ARJYAL, A., BONI, M. F., DONGOL, S., HAMMOND, N., KOIRALA, S., DUY, P. T., NGA, T. V. T., CAMPBELL, J. I., DOLECEK, C., BASNYAT, B., DOUGAN, G. & FARRAR, J. J. 2011. Combined high-resolution genotyping and geospatial analysis reveals modes of endemic urban typhoid fever transmission. Open Biology, 1.
- KHATRI, N., MASKEY, P., POUDEL, S., JAISWAL, V., KARKEY, A., KOIRALA, S., SHAKYA, N., AGRAWAL, K., ARJYAL, A., BASNYAT, B., DAY, J., FARRAR, J., DOLECEK, C. & BAKER, S. 2009. Gallbladder carriage of Salmonella paratyphi A may be an important factor in the increasing incidence of this infection in South Asia. Ann Intern Med, 150, 567 - 568.
- N. S. Khatri, S. Koirala, A. Arjyal, P. Maskey, S. Poudel, A. Karkey, S. Baker, O. Shilpakar, K. Shrestha, B. Basnyat. Acute acalculous cholecystitis and gall bladder perforation induced by Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi. Journal of Institute of Medicine. 31:3; 63-65.
- KOIRALA, K. D., THANH, D. P., THAPA, S. D., ARJYAL, A., KARKEY, A., DONGOL, S., SHRESTHA, U. M., FARRAR, J. J., BASNYAT, B. & BAKER, S. 2012. Highly resistant Salmonella Typhi with a novel gyrA mutation questions the long-term efficacy of older fluoroquinolones for treating typhoid fever. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.
- NGA, T., KARKEY, A., DONGOL, S., THUY, H., DUNSTAN, S., HOLT, K., TU, L., CAMPBELL, J. I., CHAU, T., CHAU, N., ARJYAL, A., KOIRALA, S., BASNYAT, B., DOLECEK, C., FARRAR, J. & BAKER, S. 2010. The sensitivity of real-time PCR amplification targeting invasive Salmonella serovars in biological specimens. BMC Infectious Diseases, 10, 125.
- PARRY, C. M., THUY, C. T., DONGOL, S., KARKEY, A., VINH, H., CHINH, N. T., DUY, P. T., THIEU NGA, T. V., CAMPBELL, J. I., VAN MINH HOANG, N., ARJYAL, A., BHUTTA, Z. A., BHATTACHARYA, S. K., AGTINI, M. D., DONG, B., CANH, D. G., NAHEED, A., WAIN, J., TINH HIEN, T., BASNYAT, B., OCHIAI, L., CLEMENS, J., FARRAR, J. J., DOLECEK, C. & BAKER, S. 2010. Suitable Disk Antimicrobial Susceptibility Breakpoints Defining Salmonella entericaSerovarTyphi Isolates with Reduced Susceptibility to Fluoroquinolones. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 54, 5201-5208.