In order to connect to services which require the user to be on the Oxford network (such as PINFOX) the VPN client must be opened and connected to vpn.ox.ac.uk using your remote access services username and password. This causes all your internet traffic to be routed via the University network. After using these services the VPN client can be disconnected.
The steps for installing the VPN client and getting setup with a remote access account (for vpn) and single sign on details are as follows:
- To register for a remote access account you will need to know your single sign on account username and password. A single sign on username is usually 4 letters followed by 4 numbers. When your university card was first sent to you it should have been accompanied by an activation code for your single sign on account. If your account was never activated you will need to contact the central IT support team.
- If single sign on password is unknown, it can be reset (this requires your university card number)
- Register for Remote Access Services username and password
- Install vpn client: for Windows; for Mac OS.
- Connect vpn client: for Windows; for Mac OS.
Once your VPN has been set up, we suggest that you create a link to the vpn client on your taskbar. If using Windows, this can be achieved by the following:
- Search your program files for ‘Cisco’
- Select ‘Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client’
- Right click and select ‘pin to taskbar’
Click on the icon to launch the VPN, and enter your password.
For visitors and non-University members
Academic visitors can request a University Card. The form must be signed by our hear of HR.
Non-members of the University can request Virtual Access status. This form must be signed by the relevant Business Manager. Virtual Access status is valid for a maximum of one year; further extensions must be applied for.
Corresponding forms can be found on the University Card applications page.
- PINFOX introduction
- PINFOX lists
- How to set up VPN
- Dashboard View
- Personal Information
- Research Information
- Programme Summary
- Researcher Timeline
- Titles, Keywords and Web links
- DPhil Projects
- Add a new PI
- Check for duplicates
- PINFOX timeline
- Story timeline
- User Details
- Producing a leaflet
- Printing a leaflet
- Finance Project update
- How to add a new finance project in PINFOX
- How to generate reports of finance projects ending within 6 months
- Finance Project Ending Reminders
- Contact us
- NDM Finance Project Officers
- NDM Administrators
- Symplectic update
- Resource Booking
- Writing for the Web
- Image Bank
- Create podcasts