Open Access Monitors
How to get the list of publications awaiting deposit
- In Symplectic, navigate to the tab Research Admin > OA Monitor > User engagement (depositing)
- Refine by group(s) or user(s): Oxford > MedSci Div > NDM > your group(s)
- Sort publications by Total publications awaiting deposit (highest to lowest)
If any publication for your Unit awaits deposit, it might fall within the 3 months deadline – please contact the corresponding PI urgently (even if we are out of the 3 months deadline).
Note: PubMed PDF is generally not acceptable, depending on the copyright. Journal policy regarding permission to archive publisher's version/PDF (and thus deposit final PDF) can be checked on SHERPA/ROMEO.
How to get the list of accounts with pending publications
Navigation is the same as above, sort publications by Total pending publications (hightest to lowest)
Users might need to amend their Search Settings
How to update the Date of Acceptance of a publication
Date of acceptance is not part of the metadata harvested by Symplectic. Symplectic will take the publication date (if any) to determine whether the publication is awaiting deposit.
Date of acceptance can often be found in the DOI.
To update the date of acceptance:
- Click on the publication's title
- In the 'Data Source' section, check if there is a 'Manual record'
- If there is a manual record, select 'Edit record' and add the date of acceptance
- If there is no manual record, click on 'Add manual record'; the manual record will come up pre-populated; add the date of acceptance and save.
How to get the list of accounts in your Unit
On your home page:
- Navigation > System admin > Users Group
- Oxford > Medical Science Division > NDM - select your Unit
- Group members: click on the corresponding number
Note: inactive accounts are greyed-out
How to add or remove a researcher from a manual group
Navigate to the manual group (via System Admin > Users groups > navigate to the relevant manual group and click on the number for Group members) on your homepage
- To remove a researcher, click on the 'X' next to the name
- To add a researcher, type the name in the corresponding field
How to update Wellcome Open Research publications
Wellcome Open Research publications do not follow the usual model submit - review - accept - publish. They are:
- Published = Online publication date
- Reviewed – with successive versions possible, each receiving or not green ticks
- Accepted = Acceptance date, once the paper receives two green ticks (date for the second tick is the date of acceptance)
The publication date is prior to the date of acceptance, but Symplectic does not permit a date of acceptance to be entered after the publication date.
UAS Symplectic has submitted a ticket to Symplectic Ltd about this; pending resolution, Symplectic suggest to deposit within three months of publication and enter the date of publication as date of acceptance. This way you can a) enter the output in Symplectic and b) deposit on time.
The ORA team will record the correct date of acceptance if available which will then feed back to Symplectic.
How to check if a publication has a PMCID
Run a basic report (under Research Admin)
Under '3. Select and generate data extract or report' select Returns = Publications by data source
This will create one row per publication for every data source
How to 'delete' a publication
You can 'delete' a publication from Symplectic by removing all author links. Publications 'orphaned' from any Oxford authorlinks will be removed as part of a system data cleasing.
Need more help?
More details and updates can be found on Symplectic's User Guides page.
There is a guide 'Using the OA Monitor in SE' under 'Guides for users with a system role'