Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

great wall of chinaOn this page you will find links to several useful pages and resources which may help you with some of the practical aspects of working in or visiting China. Please contact us if you would like further advice or support for any China-based academic projects.


If you require ongoing and regular Chinese language tuition then you could also consider the Oxford Language Centre's courses.

There are various Online Chinese Dictionaries. Try Mandarin Tools or MDBG.

University of Oxford China Links

Old summer palace bridgeUniversity of Oxford's China Page on the International section of the website

University of Oxford China Office's latest issue of China Thinking


Travel Documents and Advice

moon mountainTo visit China you are likely to need a visa. All applications for Chinese visas are now processed through the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre. Please note that you now need to make an appointment at the centre to deposit your application forms.

You are advised to consult the Foreign and Commonwealth Office's website for up-to-date information on your destination before travelling abroad. View the FCO's China advice.

Whilst you are in China it is possible that you may require consular assistance. Visit the website of the British Embassy in Beijing.

Research in China - Facilities and Information

Shanghai pearl towerIf you are an NDM academic carrying out research in China and require access to meeting rooms, office space or other office facilities you may be entitled to use Oxford University (Beijing) Science & Technology Company Ltd's facilities at the Kerry Centre, Beijing. Contact us for further information.

Research Councils UK (RCUK), which includes the Medical Research Council (MRC) has an office in China. Their website has useful links to various Chinese partners such as the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences (CAMS).

The Medical Research Council has a China UK Research Ethics (CURE) Committee who have put together this interesting and useful report for researchers.

The BIONET expert group has put together a report outlining recommendations on best practise in the ethical governance of Sino-European biological and biomedical research collaborations.

Photographs of China courtesy of Lizzy Deacon. All rights reserved.