Guide for Editors on creating accessible content
- Provide an alternative description for each image
- Avoid using images that contain text. If an image with text is used ensure the alt description conveys the same message as the text in the image
- Images which contain diagrams should also have a full-text version of the diagram
- Avoid using animations and if necessary, ensure an alt text is provided and the animation frame doesn’t flash more than 3 times per second
- Leave the alt description blank for decorative images.
More resources on accessible images
Accessible images guide (WebAim)
Videos and Audios
- Add subtitles to the video, ensuring these are synched to the actions in the video
- Provide a transcript for the video or audio
- Avoid content that flashes and disruptive background sounds.
More resources on accessible Videos and Audios
- Avoid creating PDFs
- But if necessary, provide an HTML version of your document (a webpage)
- Keep the document's language clear and simple, for instance, use shorter sentences
- Ensure that there is some structure to the page by using proper headings rather than bolded text, underline or all caps text
- Avoid using italics, all caps, bold text, and colour to convey your message.
More resources on accessible documents
Accessible documents' training (WebAim)
- Ensure Page titles are meaningful and convey the purpose of the page
- Organise headings in hierarchical order starting with heading 1, heading 2, etc.
- Avoid using bold text, italics and underlined text as headings
- Tables should have row headings
- Use bullet points for lists only.
More resources on accessible Structure
Page structure concepts (W3C)
Semantics structure guide (WebAim)
- Ensure links are meaningful out of context and convey the purpose of the link i.e. avoid using links such as ‘click here’ or typed URLs such as www as this is the link and does not provide any information on the link
- Ensure all links open within the same window.
More resources on accessible links
Accessible links and hypertext (WebAim)