NDM Summer Internship Programme
Please note that the application process for Summer 2017 has now closed. Information regarding the 2018 process will be added to this website in early 2018.
The Nuffield Department of Medicine offers opportunities for summer internships to undergraduate and Masters students from some of our key collaborating countries. We currently offer several fully-funded awards to students from China, Japan, Mexico and Brazil. You will get the opportunity to work in a laboratory environment with an Oxford University Principal Investigator (PI) and their team in the Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine for a period of approximately eight weeks. You will also get the opportunity to live in Oxford – one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the UK.
Some previous interns on this scheme have gone on to successfully apply for fully-funded places on our DPhil (PhD) in Clinical Medicine programme (the NDM Prize Studentship).
- You should be considering applying to undertake doctoral-level research within one of NDM’s research themes
- You must be from one of the countries mentioned below (see Funding)
- You should have an excellent GPA
- You should be fluent in English
- You must be available to come to Oxford for approximately 8 weeks during the summer, preferably for July & August 2017 (please indicate the period when you would be available when you apply)
How to apply
The application process for 2017 has now closed. Information regarding the 2018 Summer Internships Programme will be added to this website in late 2017. If you wish to be kept informed about the programme please email email@example.com
We encourage you to read through the research area links listed below:
- Immunology & infectious disease
- Cancer biology
- Physiology, cellular & molecular biology
- Genetics & genomics
- Protein science & structural biology
- Tropical medicine & global health
This year the department has several country-specific awards for internships. The awards will cover the travel and living costs for a two-month internship in a departmental research laboratory. The scholarship awarded is to the value of £3,000. Accommodation will be arranged at an Oxford college for students funded through these awards and accommodation costs will be deducted from the award and paid to the college on your behalf. The accommodation provided is basic and cannot be altered once students have arrived. The award payments will be made in regular instalments after your arrival in the UK.
- Funding for students from Japan: the department has funding for up to three students from Japanese universities.
- Funding for students from China: the department receives funding from the Victor and William Fung Foundation for approximately five students per year.
- Funding for students from Brazil: the department has funding for up to three students from Brazilian universities.
- Funding for students from Mexico: internships are also available for up to three students from Mexico.
Please note that the number of awards available is restricted and that this is therefore a competitive application process. Fulfilling the criteria listed above does not guarantee you an award.
Well-qualified students who are not eligible to apply for the NDM internships above may wish to get in touch with a PI directly to inquire about any other opportunities and funding that may be available in their labs. Students funded directly by a PI would be responsible for arranging their own accommodation in Oxford, although the department can offer help and suggestions.
Contact us if you have any questions about the internships or about how to apply.
Thank you for registering your interest
We were unable to record your request to register for interest in future opportunities. Please try again and if problems persist contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org