NDM Summer Studentship Programme
The Nuffield Department of Medicine offers opportunities for summer studentships to undergraduate and Masters students from some of our key collaborating countries. We currently offer several fully-funded awards to students from China, Japan, Mexico, Brazil and Africa. You will get the opportunity to work in a laboratory environment with an Oxford University Principal Investigator (PI) and their team in the Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine for a period of approximately eight weeks. You will also get the opportunity to live in Oxford – one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the UK.
Some previous students on this scheme have gone on to successfully apply for fully-funded places on our DPhil (PhD) in Clinical Medicine programme with an NDM Prize Studentship.
- You should be considering applying to undertake doctoral-level research within one of NDM’s research themes
- You must be from one of the countries mentioned below (see Funding)
- You should have an excellent GPA
- You should be fluent in English
- You must be available to come to Oxford for approximately 8 weeks during the summer, preferably for July & August (please indicate the period when you would be available when you apply)
Our summer studentships are open to outstanding students about to enter the final year of their undergraduate science degree of final year of a Masters degree in the biological or medical sciences. You are welcome to contact one of our Principal Investigators (PIs) with whom you are interested in working, but it is not compulsory to contact them before you apply. Please refer to the list of supervisors who are interested in hosting a summer studentship project.
We encourage you to read through the research area links listed below:
- Immunology & infectious disease
- Cancer biology
- Physiology, cellular & molecular biology
- Genetics & genomics
- Protein science & structural biology
- Tropical medicine & global health
Applications for the 2019 NDM Summer Studentship programme are now closed.
Applications for 2020 will be open from February 2020, please email us to register an interest.
You will need to include the following when you apply:
- A 300 word summary of your research interests/aspirations, including the name of the PIs/labs you would like to join for the summer studentship from the list of available projects.
- Your CV, which should include your current GPA (and ideally a TOEFL/IELTS score)
- A letter of support from your supervisor/programme manager confirming your class ranking and GPA (if available).
- Dates that you are available to begin the studentship project.
This year the department has several country-specific awards for studentships. The awards will cover the travel and living costs for a two-month studentship in a departmental research laboratory. The scholarship awarded is to the value of £3,000. Accommodation will be arranged at an Oxford college for students funded through these awards and accommodation costs will be deducted from the award and paid to the college on your behalf. The accommodation provided is basic and cannot be altered once students have arrived. The award payments will be made in regular instalments after your arrival in the UK.
- Africa: up to five studentships are available (supported by the AfOx initiative) to applicants who have been legally resident in an African country for at least one year out of the last five years. These studentships will include support for travel costs as well as living costs while in Oxford.
- Brazil: up to three students from Brazilian universities.
- China: up to three students from China.
- Japan: up to three students from Japanese universities.
- Mexico: up to three students from Mexico.
Please note that the number of awards available is restricted and that this is therefore a competitive application process. Fulfilling the criteria listed above does not guarantee you an award.
Well-qualified students who are not eligible to apply for the NDM studentships above may wish to get in touch with a PI directly to inquire about any other opportunities and funding that may be available in their labs. Students funded directly by a PI would be responsible for arranging their own accommodation in Oxford, although the department can offer help and suggestions.
Contact us if you have any questions about the studentships or about how to apply.
Thank you for registering your interest
We were unable to record your request to register for interest in future opportunities. Please try again and if problems persist contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org