Graduate Research Prize Winners 2010
I am an Academic Clinical Lecturer in Respiratory Medicine at the Oxford Centre for Respiratory Medicine. My research interests include interventional clinical trials in the fields of pleural infection and pleural malignancy, and the design and conduct of clinical studies in respiratory medicine. My D Phil involved a randomised, blinded assessment of a novel combination intrapleural treatment for patients with pleural infection, across 11 UK centres (the MIST2 trial). I have also been involved in several other projects directed at the diagnosis and treatment of pleural disease. During my D Phil, I also studied for an MSc in Clinical Trials at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
- Setting up a Respiratory Trials Unit. Rahman NM, Dobson M, Davies RJ. Respirology. 2010 Nov 30.
- Local anaesthetic thoracoscopy: British Thoracic Society Pleural Disease Guideline 2010. Rahman NM, Ali NJ, Brown G, Chapman SJ, Davies RJ, Downer NJ, Gleeson FV, Howes TQ, Treasure T, Singh S, Phillips GD; British Thoracic Society Pleural Disease Guideline Group. Thorax. 2010 Aug;65 Suppl 2:ii54-60
- Diagnostic accuracy, safety and utilisation of respiratory physician-delivered thoracic ultrasound. Rahman NM, Singanayagam A, Davies HE, Wrightson JM, Mishra EK, Lee YC, Benamore R, Davies RJ, Gleeson FV. Thorax. 2010 May;65(5):449-53. Review.
- Outcome of patients with nonspecific pleuritis/fibrosis on thoracoscopic pleural biopsies. Davies HE, Nicholson JE, Rahman NM, Wilkinson EM, Davies RJ, Lee YC. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2010 Oct;38(4):472-7.
- The relationship between chest tube size and clinical outcome in pleural infection. Rahman NM, Maskell NA, Davies CW, Hedley EL, Nunn AJ, Gleeson FV, Davies RJ. Chest. 2010 Mar;137(3):536-43.
- Use of lipoteichoic acid-T for pleurodesis in malignant pleural effusion: a phase I toxicity and dose-escalation study. Rahman NM, Davies HE, Salzberg M, Truog P, Midgely R, Kerr D, Clelland C, Hedley EL, Lee YC, Davies RJ. Lancet Oncol. 2008 Oct;9(10):946-52.
- Clinically important factors influencing the diagnostic measurement of pleural fluid pH and glucose. Rahman NM, Mishra EK, Davies HE, Davies RJ, Lee YC. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008 Sep 1;178(5):483-90.
- Use of indwelling pleural catheters for chronic pleural infection. Davies HE, Rahman NM, Parker RJ, Davies RJ. Chest. 2008 Feb;133(2):546-9.