Timelines for Principal Investigators
Principal Investigators are invited to create and edit their own timeline.
In PINFOX, navigate to a PI profile and scroll down to the ‘Timeline Events’ section. From there, events can be added, edited and deleted by clicking on the appropriate buttons.
How to import an event published as a News on a NeWT powered website
Our websites commonly use lists of content for News; it is possible to directly import a News as an Event:
- Select Import ‘Newt Summary List Entry’
- Select the appropriate list of content
- Navigate and click on the appropriate item of this list
Note that the ‘Find’ function of your browser can be used to locate the item on the list
- Click ‘OK’ and select and 'Event type'; fields are populated automatically but can be amended
How to import a key publication
PINFOX automatically imports favourite publications from Symplectic. Those publications can be selected for a timeline.
- Select Import ‘Publication’; fields are populated automatically but can be amended
How to import a key finance project
Finance projects information held in Oracle is updated fortnightly in PINFOX and can be selected for a timeline. The timeline will only display the finance project title, start date and funding body.
- Select Import ‘Finance project’; fields are populated automatically but can be amended
Note: If you want to use a sponsor's logo, make sure that you have permission to display it on your research profile.
How to enter an event manually
All mandatory fields are marked by a star.
- Title: add a brief title (max 200 characters)
- Link text, if relevant, max 200 characters
- Description: add a brief description of the event (max 10'000 characters)
- We recommend to add an Image
How to view a timeline
On the PI profile page click 'View Events' to get to the summary table of events
- Click ‘Preview Timeline’
Note: In order to view/publish a timeline, the PI must have a photo on their PINFOX profile.
How to publish a timeline for a PI
- On the profile page, click ‘View Events’
- Click on the button ‘Unpublished click to change’; the button then turns green and the profile will be published on the PI’s profile page the next time the website updates, within two hours
You can view an example of timeline on Professor Xin Lu's PINFOX profile
Note: Make sure that the profile is ready and has been approved by the PI before publishing it; you can preview it by using the ‘Preview Timeline’ button.
How to amend a news, publication or finance project
- Date is the day the news was published
- Title can be updated (max 200 characters)
- Link text needs to be updated with a meaningful text (max 200 characters)
- Description can be updated
- Image is the illustration appearing in the item
- images must be .jpg, .gif or .png
- thumbnails appearing on the timeline are cropped to 100x100 pixels; long rectangular images might not display as expected
- when the event is expanded, the image will display at a max 500x300 pixels