Returning carers' fund
The Returning Carers' Fund is a small grants scheme intended to support the return to research of women and men who have taken a break of at least six months for caring responsibilities.
NDM researchers who have been successful in their applications to this award have found that it has enabled them to re-establish their research careers after their break by assisting in key areas such as by providing opportunities to attend conferences, buy out teaching responsibilities and provide training and development opportunities.
The closing date for the next round of applications is 17 June 2016.
The scheme is open to all members of academic and research staff employed by the University, including those holding joint appointments, but excluding those who have achieved full professorial title or who hold statutory chairs.
The scheme is open to all those who, at the closing date for applications:
- are currently on leave for a minimum of six months;
- have returned from a break of at least six months within the last two years; or
- have returned from two breaks each of at least six months within the last five years.
Funding can be requested for any legitimate purpose identified by the applicant that addresses a clearly identified barrier to return to research and demonstrates a link to career development in research. Support could include, but is not limited to:
- teaching buy-out to enable you to concentrate on research;
- training or professional development;
- short-term secondments to ‘get up to speed’ with recent research developments;
- conference attendance to enable you to re-establish your profile;
- short-term research or administrative assistance;
- small scale lab equipment purchase;
- visits to Oxford by your research collaborator(s).
- Childcare-related expenses over and above a staff member’s usual childcare costs are eligible if requested as part of an application for ‘work related training’ (which includes conference attendance and research visits). The existing financial limit will still apply.
- The costs of providing a maternity cover post or other support during the leave period are not permitted. These should be discussed with and considered by the applicant’s department, e.g. as part of the process of agreeing a maternity leave plan.
Applications must be signed by the staff member’s supervisor, Head of Department or Faculty Board Chair and by their Business Manager to indicate that a) the department/faculty supports the application, and b) the applicant is eligible for funding, as per the above criteria. The application is then sent to the Medical Sciences divisional contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information and application forms are available here.