Risk management

A full risk assessment is required for filming on University premises and it needs to be approved by the Building Safety Officer. Please contact the relevant Building Manager.


Public Liability Insurance is needed for all filming anywhere in Oxford, particularly on University premises. Do not allow any film or production companies onto your premises without liability insurance.

The Public Liability Insurance required by the University varies with location and project; it is usually a minimum of £10-15 million, depending on the possible damage which could be caused during filming. Please check with the University Insurance Team. Liability Insurance for filming within University Colleges might be different, please check with the College.

Freelancers and independent companies need to work within the University's standard terms of reference for supplying service. Under those terms, the University unambiguously retains copyright.

MSD Filming Agreement form.


Institutional Reputation