Cookies on this website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Continue' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

Graduates who have personal, academic or administrative problems and who are uncertain of the proper way to resolve these problems have several possible courses of action open to them.  It is usually best to talk to your supervisor first and to the NDM graduate studies office for administrative help.  Financial problems are often best taken to colleges.

People and organisations to which you can turn for support are:

  • Your Supervisor, who can consult the appropriate authorities on their behalf.
  • Your Mentor, all NDM students should have secondary ‘mentors’: a designated PI or a post-doc from another lab (but they can be from within the same unit/institute). Your supervisor should have informed you of who your mentor is.
  • the Graduate Advisor in your unit/institute, Director of Graduate Studies (Prof. Robert Gilbert), the Deputy Director of Graduate Studies (Prof. Julian Knight), or the Acting Head of Department (Prof. Chris Conlon)
  • In the Medical Sciences Division, the Chairman of the Divisional Graduate Studies Committee, the Secretary of the Division, or the Dean.
  • In your College, you can consult the Senior Tutor, Tutor for Graduates or your own College Advisor.

The Graduate Studies Office in the University Offices is a source of advice on forms, deadlines and other advice on the degree process.  The Educational Policy and Standards Committee has oversight of all matters relating to the education of students within the University.

The Student Counselling Service at 11 Wellington Square acts in strict confidence and is experienced in helping students with a wide variety of physical and psychological disabilities relating to academic work.  Other useful sources of support are listed on the Health & Welfare pages of the University website.

Details on how to make complaints in relation to your degree are available on the Complaints Procedures of the University website.