After completing a year of PGCE at the Department of Education within the University, Ioana Baleanu started working for NDM in October 2008. She works in the Clinical Bio-Manufacturing Facility. This is the University of Oxford’s Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) manufacturing facility that is producing biological Investigational Medicinal Products (IMPs) according to the principles of GMP for early phase clinical trials. Her role is to cover all aspects of Production as Senior Production Assistant. This includes Cell banking, Viral vector manufacture and Aseptic Filling all of which are performed to GMP standards.

Ioana requested a flexible working pattern after trying to manage full time work and becoming a mother for more than a year. Attending Springboard Women’s Development Programme at the Oxford Learning Institute helped Ioana to focus on her well-being, and she realised that trying to do her professional role full time and be a mother of a one year old wasn’t working as well as she had hoped. She found herself being continuously on the rush and thought that she could manage better at work and home if she re-arranged things slightly. Ioana raised her request to work part time with her line manager, and then HR, where her new working pattern of 30.5 hours across Monday to Friday was approved. This gave her the opportunity to work 2 shorter days. The arrangement is on a six month trial period to see how well it works for everyone.

“Things have improved significantly since reducing my working hours. I find that I am more focused in my job. The reduced working hours pattern has given me the drive to better organise my workload and keep track of what needs doing and when.  I have become better at prioritising things and delegating where possible and necessary. It has also reduced the pressure of rush hour heavy traffic on my journey back home which has actually increased the time I have available to spend with my family.”