Welcome to the University and the Department
Welcome to the Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine (NDM). We hope you enjoy your new role and working for the Department.
The University is a thriving community, which offers a great deal for staff and students alike. The main University website provides detailed information for new staff about living and working in Oxford and the history and structure of the University. You may also find it beneficial to view the visiting the University pages, as they information about exploring Oxford and the University, with links to tourist sites and brochures.
New to Oxford is a page which signposts you to information to help you navigate your way in your role at Oxford. Researchers are also encouraged to view the Research Staff Development Framework on the Medical Sciences Division website pages.
When you start your new role you will have a HR Induction with a member of your HR team. The HR Officer will go through your induction paperwork, including new starter forms and will provide you with information about our policies and procedures. This meeting is a great opportunity to get to know your HR contact and to ask any questions you may have. Your line manager will also provide you with a role/team/group induction, and you will be asked to complete a health and safety and/or building induction.
The following induction booklets have been designed to give you an introduction to the University and your Department and provide you with information you will need throughout your employment. You should read through them in the first few days of your new post. You may also find them useful as a reference guide during your first few weeks.
- Your Induction – An Overview Booklet (V4.0 2018) – an overview of the induction process
- Welcome to NDM – Induction Booklet (V8.0 2018) – information you need to know at the start of your new role
- Your HR staff will provide you with an induction booklet with information specific to the unit of NDM that you will be working within.
A specific booklet for researchers has also been developed: Supplementary Induction Booklet for Researchers .
As part of your induction, and within your probation period, you are required to complete the following courses. You will only be confirmed in post once these have been completed successfully.
- Introduction for New Staff, on-line course provided by OLI
- Equality and Diversity Briefing, on-line course provided by OLI
- Implicit Bias in the Workplace training, provided by OLI or Unconscious Bias training provided by your HR team.
- Challenging Behaviour, on-line course provided by OLI
- Information Security Awareness, on-line course provided by OLI
Induction courses and events
The University runs a number of induction events and courses which may be of interest to you: